By Lana M
Miscavige’s operating basis to “build” Scientology is worth examining. His solutions and ongoing method for managing the group say much about him and where the church is at today:
– Miscavige micro-manages all key projects that he implements, demanding that all key decisions and actions are CSWed (completed staff work) to him in submission form. His office has been a perpetual backlog of submissions and correspondence. This requires a number of secretaries to log and track these submissions, which routinely are in his office for months and are then returned as staledated. The reason everything goes to COB for approval is that Miscavige cannot trust management. Their actions are “destructive” and he is “the only one who can get anything done”.
– Miscavige removes management terminals that do not do his bidding or that he considers cannot be trusted, to the result of no upper management existing anymore. The command structure that LRH put in place to wear the hat that he had been wearing (ED International and each of the Int Executives) and to build the key functions required to build orgs, are not there. The Watchdog Committee, responsible for seeing that strategy exists and is implemented for each strategy of the Scientology network, does not exist. The Evaluation Corps, to find the right Whys and to provide orgs with tailor made evaluations, was dismantled over 15 years ago. The Senior C/S Int Network, responsible for flub catching and technical standards, is gone. And the Int Finance Network has become the only area that Miscavige sees a purpose for, using it for building Ideal Orgs and collect vast sums of money to add to Reserves. All of this solves the problem of management being “CI (counter intention) to making Saint Hill size orgs” – something Miscavige has been repeating since 1995. He is the only one that can build orgs, and so Scn management is not required.
– The policy that Miscavige implemented on children in the Sea Org in the early 90’s was that any Sea Org member who gets pregnant must be sent to a small and failing org. Over a period of years each of the Cadet orgs were dismantled and with this, came undue pressure on any Sea Org member that fell pregnant, to have an abortion. This policy solution was based on Miscavige’s premise that the cost and distraction of children to the Sea Org was destructive — yet look at the ensuing disaster over the subsequent years!
– The Golden Age of Tech was launched by Miscavige with the Why of “the blind have been leading the blind”. With that program all the certificates of priorly trained auditors (including SHSBC graduates and Class VIIIs were cancelled) if they did not redo the entire GAT lineup. Hundreds, if not thousands, of auditors were invalidated on the training and auditing they had done priorly, and the new TRs and Metering passes required approval by RTC Representatives, who were themselves not veteran auditors or highly trained. The program was Miscavige’s solution to lack of auditors – but the result was the loss of auditors, old and new.
– The Ideal Org Program was implemented by Miscavige as the solution to the majority of orgs being small and the datum that OT IX and OT X cannot be released until all orgs are Saint Hill size. Rumor has it that in a conversation with Tom Cruise, many years ago now, TC had stated that he cannot take new public into orgs because they are so run down and shabby, so Miscavige created the Ideal org program to build orgs that are impressive beyond belief, and that will “wow” new public by their size, design, technology and materials. The solution to fund these vastly over designed and expensive buildings has been fundraising from parishioners, despite Corp Scn having enough money in its coffers to pay to build new org buildings without a cent from anyone. The result is parishioners under huge financial strain and next to no capacity to move up The Bridge themselves. The other result is large empty org buildings that are no making auditors or delivering any real auditing. And just as bad, staff members who make next to no weekly pay from the org (due to the increased cost of running these vast tombs of buildings and the lack of real delivery) having to moonlight and desperately engage in all manner of financial rip-offs from parishioners in an effort to somehow pay their own rent.
– The International management of Scientology used to occur at the Int Base in Hemet California, and in the early 90s there were 800 staff there (RTC, CMO International, Exec Strata, CMO Gold and Gold). Miscavige has run a campaign since 1997 that he will offload any staff member that gets in his way, non-complies, or questions what he does. The creation of “The Hole” was one of the methods adopted by Miscavige to deal with the “suppressive”, and “CI” management terminals — literally putting bars on the windows and ordering them to physically and mentally abuse each other (when he was not doing so personally). Declaring every person that was offloaded a suppressive person was another solution to his problem. Moving whole Int orgs and dismantling orgs and sections of orgs have been other methods used. Long beratings and punishments (such as all of CMO Int being made to clean out the sewage pools of the Int base, or staff being thrown overboard into the lake or Clipper swimming pool, or harsh “boot camps”, or RPFing people wholesale, or tormenting and torturing staff with games that are not based on any policy or reference). All of these solutions have not solved the problem of “counter intention” at the Int base. Miscavige is still the “only one” that can get anything done.
– With continued problems with compliance, Miscavige has every conference, phone call and order transcribed. His bank of secretaries issue these orders in writing, and every one of them is to be word cleared by those receiving them. Each one is tracked and staff members are harassed to comply to each order with an ever growing list of penalties. Command channels and form of org are ignored, and Miscavige can order anyone to do anything — and routinely he adopts a staff member on a post at Gold, Flag, CMO CW or somewhere and starts issuing them orders that are completely disrelated to their post functions or org — all justified as they are deemed to be one of the few people that can get anything done in all the CI. You then get a continued Hey You org board, with seniors having no say and being run by a junior, who is being run by Miscavige directly (and constantly informing them of how bad their senior is). The Hey You org board can be seen everywhere in today’s Corporate Scientology. In Class V Ideal orgs, they are being run by Sea Org members who are on mission and being run directly (or overseen) by Miscavige. The Continental Commodore’s Messenger orgs have been run by Miscavige for years since he took out their own seniors at CMO International. The Int Finance Office and International Landlord Office are run by Miscavige himself. Gold’s activities are only those dictated by Miscavige. The solution has resulted in a continued Danger condition everywhere, and that is reflected in statistics long term.
– The IAS is Miscavige’s puppet and financial arm. There is no LRH policy on the IAS and LRH actually stipulated that fundraising has no part in Scientology — but the IAS is THE activity of Scientology these days. What happened to auditing and training? The briefings from IAS regges about the dire state of the planet, the conspiracy theories, the emergencies that require funding now, now, now. The message is always about how bad the planetary situation is, and how the only solution is donations to the IAS. Really? If that is so, then how come there is not one single LRH policy detailing to do this?
– The Div 6’s in orgs today, which are empty, are filled with audio visual systems to play videos. A new person, wanting to actually get some help, will not find a communication line in the Division 6’s of today’s orgs. Instead they will be left alone to wander around the screens, pushing buttons and watching actors (not Scientologists) describe in glowing terms how wonderous Scientology is. There is nothing personal or caring about org Div 6’s these days. Nothing. And this solution was implemented by Miscavige to solve the problem that org staff were not closing enough people to start a new service.
– And that brings us to “The Basics”. Miscavige re-released all of the basic Scientology books in the early 2000s and every parishioner was ordered off their Bridge and to study “The Basics” before they continued. This meant that each had to buy the full set and then pay the org to do a series of checksheets covering all basic books, before they could continue on Bridge action. The reason given for this order was that “Scientologists did not understand the basic tenets and principles of Scientology” — so this was placed as a standing order for new public coming in (violating basic policy by LRH on basic courses), and for all staff members and Sea Org members (violating basic policy on the hatting training line up for staff), and taking Scientology public off the courses they were already on (violating basic policy on The Bridge).
– The Library Campaign is another solution from Miscavige to raise book sales, which is reimplemented every year or so with the latest new “releases”.
– And then we get to pricing of org services, books and materials — which have continued to go up and up and up over the last 20 years to a point where it is now over $50,000 to co-audit your way to Clear, and to get through SOLO NOTs (a level that costs next to nothing as you audit yourself) requires years of 6 month checks and enforced stays at Flag, costing more than a quarter of a million dollars for the average parishioner. What problem was Miscavige trying to solve? How to increase income of orgs (and thus RTC).
The above is not a complete list. I am sure readers will be able to come up with even more examples.
The purpose of this article is to point out that the “remedies” for the dire situations that Miscavige details at events, are one for one, destructive. As the organisation has sunk more and more down scale, the convincing ways that Miscavige answers up to “emergencies” are just adding to the failure and disaster. And the group, as it sinks further down the tone scale, gets more criminal and destructive by the day. This is a sad situation.
We gotta get the LRH back into Scientology. And that starts with spotting the right Why’s and resolving the continued arbitraries and destructive programs that are driving Corporate Scientology down the proverbial toilet.
“Group repair is actually a study of the tone scale and mental equipment of the leader of a group.
“A group is not more ethical than its system of ethics. Ethics are a direct measure of a position on the tone scale. A system for measuring the ethics of any individual or group could be devised from tests measuring the communication, affinity and reality factors of the individual. Likewise a system of measuring the ethic of a group could be devised from a study of its communication, affinity and reality factors.
“Theta is as pure as it has truth in it. The amount of Theta in a pure state in an individual or group measures the life potential and energy of the group. We study, in Theta, not only reason and ideals, but also the dynamic – the energy and longevity – of survival. Thus when we say “amount of Theta” we could also say “amount of reason” and “abundance of energy expended toward survival.”
“Ethics are distinct from morals. Ethics are the factors of survival as they reasonably and currently apply to the problem. Honesty, derivably, is the highest level of survival. Potential of survival can also be measured, in other words, in terms of the amount of truth discovered and applied to given problems and situations. Morals have only to do with habits and customs and to a large degree reactive, not reasonable.
“On the tone scale it can be seen that survival potential drops lower and lower as communication, affinity and reality drop lower and lower. Death is not affinity, no communication, no reality and no survival. As one spots a group or an individual on the tone scale he can spot exact and precise reactions of ARC for that individual. Around 2.0, as for communications, the individual will censor communications. Around 2.0 he has overt hostility for his affinity. Around 2.0 he has challenge, interruption for his agreement. Lower, around 1.5, he deals with perversion of communications, hatred for his affinity and utter disagreement for his agreement (reality). Around 1.0 he has cut-off for communications, covert hostility for his affinity and contradicts for his agreement.
“As an individual is upon the tone scale so he will inevitably handle ARC. As a group exists on a tone scale, so will it inevitably handle ARC.
“Below 2.0, whatever his expressed intentions, the individual works as enTheta and enMEST and as the tone sinks to 1.0 will actually kill himself and other individuals of the group. He talks of deaths and emergencies. He advises remedies for “potential death” situations. And although he may seem to work hard to “remedy” he situations he postulates, he will yet produce only reduced survival or death for himself, his associates or his group. He may seem to be working with the highest effectiveness, he may believe he is doing his very best and yet the end product of his endeavor will be reduced survival or death.” …
“The death of an individual or the death of an enterprise or nation follows the spiral toward suicide. The way stations are the points of action on the ARC survival tone scale. Look at the points of action for affinity on the tone scale, or for reality or for communication, and you can see how much inclined toward death for the individual or the group will be the actions of that individual or group.
“Reversing the viewpoint, by spotting the position of the individual on the tone scale or by spotting the position of the group by what he or it does with ARC, one can see the survival potential of the group in terms of energy and longevity.
“Thus, we could see, for instance, that an administrator favored secrecy in his dealings, that he practiced cruelty on individuals of a group but masked the cruelty under ‘necessity”, that he altered or suppressed every plan submitted to him — one could spot him on the tone scale at about 1.1. One could see immediately that the organization would be inclined toward death and that it would fail. Actually, the very measures he may so convincingly postulate to answer up to “emergencies” will bring failure and disaster.”
LRH, Diagnosis and Repair of Groups, January 1951, Tech Volume 1.